Thursday, January 10, 2008

Florida: The Bankrupt State

As a state employee, I’ve heard all of the gloom and doom talk regarding the budget for this year. At one meeting, the big boss basically said, “Don’t expect any raises, equipment, or more hires. The state’s hurting, and so are we.” This gave me the impression that the state of Florida would do it’s best to cut the fat and that the state’s income, which comes from sales and property taxes, wouldn’t be touched as far as their levels.

Those thoughts changed when I saw the sample ballot for the Presidential Primary on January 29. Along with the presidential candidate selection, there is a proposed amendment for the Florida Constitution that would lower property taxes. Now, I understand that people like having lower taxes, but to do this at a time where the state is crying about being in so much financial pain just seems a bit hard to swallow. I would think people like having state services, too, although I could be wrong about that.

I would like to think that the people of Florida will look at the proposed amendment and say, “Wait a minute! We can’t do this right now!” I expect the people to say, “Lower taxes? Sure!” Let’s see if the state declares bankruptcy next year.

No comments: