Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Blocked Writer

So far, 2008 hasn’t been bad. Of course, it is only January 2, so things might change in the coming weeks. I’m back at work after the long break, and I’m glad to be back. I’ve discovered that I don’t have much of a life without my job, and the three weeks or so off were boring.

What do I have to look forward to this year? This is the year I plan to be published, if anything because it didn’t happen last year. Perhaps I should explain:

In April of last year, I had a great story idea. So, I started writing. One year and seventy thousand words later, I was finished. Getting it published as a novel seemed the next step, so I decided to get an agent. Now, I understand that agents probably get query letters from aspiring novelists daily, and I realize that they probably can’t read through everything in a timely manner, but it’s frustrating to spend so much time on something and being unable to get them to actually read it. It’s annoying to wait six weeks for a response and getting a preprinted rejection that says, “we didn’t read it because we don’t know who you are.”

Perhaps I should just be more patient and wait for the more positive responses to come. I would love to get a letter that said, “we’re not going to take you at this time because of issues with your writing. For example…” In any case, I have good feelings about this year. This is the year I get published.

No comments: