Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Learning Something Interesting

I lived in Philadelphia in the mid ‘80s. As a kid, I remember riding with my parents down Girard Avenue and coming up to this masonry walled compound. Sometime later I learned that the compound was Girard College. My only thought was that it was strange to have an institute of higher learning with a massive wall around it.

Today, I was playing around on Google maps when I found myself staring at the walled compound that is Girard College. I decided to look for a website and found this. Turns out that it’s a boarding school for kids of single parents. It was started way back in 1848 to give boys without fathers a chance to get an education, something that would’ve been difficult at the time.

Sometimes, a little research can give cool results. Well, I think it’s cool.

No comments: