Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Annual Valentine’s Day Rant

I am not a fan of Valentine’s Day. I like the idea of reinforcing love, but not at the expense of those who don’t have it. It seems that the world itself is single-person hostile, and VD (appropriate acronym, I think) adds more force to that.

For example, I was going to order a pizza one day and found a “deal” in a coupon filler in the mail. The deal was that I could order a pizza for six dollars each if I ordered three pizzas. Since I was eating by myself, I figured that three pizzas was a bit much for me. However, ordering two or less pizzas cost seven dollars. I understand that economies of scale might have an effect on costs, but why would it kick in at the third pizza?

(I know the answer: to get people to buy more pizza.)

Anyway, that doesn’t explain my dislike toward Valentine’s Day. My problem comes with the idea that those who aren’t with someone are seriously flawed. Everything on Valentine’s Day basically says that single people don’t exist. Given the general bias against single people, an entire day devoted to couples only can be annoying to those flying solo. The day can’t pass fast enough for me.

Tomorrow, February 14, couples should find time to be with each other. After all, the idea is for love to be in the air. However, don’t forget about those who aren’t with someone. Be courteous to single people, and don’t treat them like they don’t exist.

Oh, why the annual rant? Because I notice the same things every year, and nothing seems to change.

No comments: